Friday, January 29, 2010

Break's over

There was so much food left over from the potluck last Saturday, I didn't cook anything else until today. I finally couldn't take anymore bean and rice dip and got back to eating some slightly more fresh food.

"Enraged Penne" 8/10
from Mediterranean Vegan Diet
Substituted rice pasta spirals for the penne, but otherwise followed the recipe. This was really good, although I might add more pepperoncinis next time. I don't even like pepperoncinis, except in this.

Sweet Potato with Piloncillo Syrup and Chile de Arbol 8/10, but the syrup itself gets a 10
This recipe is from Pati's Mexican Table
I think yams would have been better, but the mix of sweet, spicy, and citrus is off the charts. And, I may never buy brown sugar again. Piloncillo, aka panela, has this amazing texture, like butter.


Cucumber Chayote Slaw 5/10
I didn't use fresh pineapple, but I don't think that's the problem. I doubt it's the chipotle paste being frozen for 4 months. I think it's that instead of vinegar or lemon juice, the dressing has pineapple juice in it. Without any acid and very little spice, the slaw doesn't taste bad, it's just boring. I'm going to add some lemon juice and chile flakes.

1 comment:

  1. I am jealous of your proximity to actual Mexicans, I didn't find piloncillo OR chiles de arbol. It was still delicious with brown sug and dried chipotles, though.

    ReplyDelete