Stupid exams, taking my time away from important things. Like watching endless hours of House and making cupcakes. Anyways, three new recipes and one new sweater. We'll start with the salad:
Caesar Salad from The Veganomicon 9/10
I always thought caesar salad was just something I'd have to live without, however sad and lonely it made me feel. It is not true. I am the person who buys a bin of lettuce and lets 85% of it rot, but this dressing got me through all three romaine hearts. This is the kind of dish you take to potlucks and after everyone's been raving about it, break the news that it's vegan. The garlic croutons are good enough to eat on their own, or stale, or after dropping in cat litter.
Massaman curry, from The Asian Vegan Kitchen 7/10
I've never made my own curry paste from scratch before, or even bought and used pre-made curry paste. I've always left it to Thai restaurants. This curry didn't quite live up to my favorite, but I must admit, I couldn't find Thai chiles and had to use serranos, and didn't add any extra spice what with the lovely cold I've had the last few days. But it's still pretty darn good. I think next time I'll add more veggies, maybe some red pepper or broccoli.
Hot Fudge Sauce 6/10
When I said I was going to make hot fudge sauce my Catholic roommate started giggling like a horny 14 year old boy. I've always heard hot lunch or hot carl, but you never know with these Floridians. Anyway, I used a recipe from veg-web, even though you never can be sure with these recipes. I used rice milk because it was all that I had (I think soy would be better, it's thicker), and semi-sweet chocolate chips instead of unsweetened baker's chocolate. I cut back a little on the sugar as a result. I had to reduce the mixture for several minutes, and I wish I'd followed my gut and done it before adding the chips instead of after, but everything turned out in the end. It's not quite the same texture as the Mrs. Richardson's we used to eat, but then again, no corn syrup or sweetened condensed milk. I think next time I'll use either soy milk or a recipe for sweetened condensed milk replacer.
Sweater!!!
I know this is supposed to just be about cooking, but I finally finished the sweater I've been knitting since October! And it's awesome. I'll get some pictures up soon.
Did you ever consider that roy could be your answer?
ReplyDelete